A toilet seems simple enough. You look inside and it appears that the system that flushes the toilet is relatively basic. What happens when the toilet water keeps running or runs intermittently? You might have a leaky toilet and it’s likely that you’re using more water than you’d expect.
You could be wasting as much as 200 gallons of water per day down the drain when you have a leaky toilet. Call Quail Plumbing and get the toilet fixed before you get an unexpected high water bill!
Signs of a Leaky Toilet
Its never fun discovering you have a leaky toilet. Here are the typical signs:
- Toilet water keeps running
- Toilet runs intermittently
- Toilet runs for a longer than usual amount of time
- You hear noises from the toilet when it’s not in use
- Your water bill is higher than normal
The leaky toilet could be caused by one of the following:
- Flapper or ball could be worn out
- Seat under the flapper could be damaged
- Damaged gasket under the flush valve
- Crack in the overflow tube
- Refill valve needs a new seat or washer
The Leaky Toilet Test
To administer the leaky toilet test:
- Get something that will color the water like food coloring, coffee, or powdered drink mix.
- Add enough to the toilet tank to give the water a deep color.
- Don’t use the toilet for at least 30 minutes.
If you see dyed water in the toilet bowl, the toilet is leaking, and a part likely needs to be replaced.
If you suspect you have a leaky toilet, call the professionals at Quail Plumbing at 602-493-9822.